Forgot password? | Forgot username?

The Book Thread

The Book Thread

Well I travel quite a lot, to school and stuff, and reading books is a nice time-spender... And I have always liked reading. SO, I figured a thread like this would be nice.

Any genre would be nice. I'm not afraid of some challenging stuff, like older litterature and such.

What are your favourite books?  current/smile

http://www.antonahlstrom.com/

izzie
Mr Moderator
useravatar
3353 Posts
1017 Points
Male  Website 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: The Book Thread

"Mom, have you seen my leather pants?" Awesome book about a 16 year old guy in a unknown glam-band in the late 80s/early 90s. The band never got big, but they have a couple of cool songs at myspace.
"Sheriff McCoy", Andy McCoy's book is pretty cool to.
I guess you know all the other rock'n roll-books like the dirt and stuff.

The Millenium-books are pretty cool (Män som hatar kvinnor, Flickan som lekte med elden and Luftslottet som sprängdes). They are thick (500-700 pages), but worth it. I have seen the movies, but understood a lot more after reading the books. A lot more happening in the books too.

i would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

Sheila
grevling
useravatar
3114 Posts
Captain Of The Team
2153 Points
Female  Birthday  Website 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Yeah!! good thread, hahaha. I'm such a bookworm.

I personally prefer fiction over biographys and stuff, and I love fantasy and Sience fiction most.

J.R.R. Tolkein - the lord of the rings is my favorite book but kinda obvious i guess..

I would recommend Franz Kavka, he must be my favorite writer, but I'm afraid it's not even half as good when it's not in original language so I better skip that  current/roll
So if you're into something older that's a little more difficult to read try Edgar Allen Poe, he is awesome as well, and most of the stories are short so you're finishing something fast. He's one of the first writers who embraced  horror and supernatural things, definatly worth checking! also his poems, they are beautiful.

Then there are two russian writers I love, Sergej Lukianenko, you can read everything from him. He writes that kinda dark fantasy stories, but not "Lord of the ring knight with sword" sort of  fantasy, but more modern and less epic, with a cynic undertone. The second one is Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033 & 2034, postapocalyptic sience fiction with a hint of supernatural. It's translated to german, so I guess it must be available in english aswell, but i'm not 100 % sure.

Apart from that, Willian Gibson is the king of Sience fiction, who first developed the idea of a "Cyberspace". the Neuromancer trilogy is AMAZING!!

and as you might know, i'm totally into comic books. it's not everyone's thing, i know, but if you're open minded try Watchmen or V for Vendetta. they've done everything you can do with this medium in those two books, it's amazing both visual and story wise, and both are the one thing I recomennd people who don't read comics.

I could go on forever, I read about 5 books a month AT LEAST, so I can recommend you tons.The Libary is my second home current/tongue the ones above are just what grabbed me lately, when I think of something else I can come back if you wish current/big_smile

Oh and if you're not into that kind of fiction at all, The Catcher In The Rye is a good book.

☽ O ☾     War, children, is just a shot away.
Instagram//blog//work
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

mrs v. viper
Anna
useravatar
5228 Posts
1453 Points
Male  Birthday  Website 

The Heroin Diaries and I am Ozzy are quality suggestions if you've not already checked them out current/smile.
Heroin Diaries had a huge impact on me and Ozzy's book is one of the funniest and Interesting I've read in ages.

My absolute favourite book The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice, but to read that I'd definitely recommend reading Interview with the Vampire first current/smile

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

XiLaii
The Strange
useravatar
2671 Posts
Captain Of The Team
93 Points

it's sometimes hard to find and quite old but i always liked "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton.  It's about American gang culture, but not the chavvy type xD it's about a gang of guys aged 14-18 and how they're picked on for who they are and where they live and what happens when someone gets knifed.  i wouldn't say it's a hard book (i tend to read challenging stuff) but i read it over and over again and still look back over some of it. i think the characters are great.  not too long either current/smile

i liked heroin diaries too...but then as a cynic always wondered if a lot of it had been made up/glamourised or dramatized...it wasn't all written by him after all. a good read though.

Lizzy Rose
useravatar
602 Posts
A Kid From The Underground
0 Points
Female  Birthday 

XiLaii wrote:

My absolute favourite book The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice, but to read that I'd definitely recommend reading Interview with the Vampire first current/smile

Yes!! awesome stuff!!

Instagram//blog//work

mrs v. viper
Anna
useravatar
5228 Posts
1453 Points
Male  Birthday  Website 

Lizzy Rose wrote:

i liked heroin diaries too...but then as a cynic always wondered if a lot of it had been made up/glamourised or dramatized...it wasn't all written by him after all. a good read though.

Yeah, there is rather a lot of controversy over whether or not it was truthful or not, but It's entirely enjoyable as a piece of fiction if nothing else current/tongue

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

XiLaii
The Strange
useravatar
2671 Posts
Captain Of The Team
93 Points

I'm a nerd, so one of my favorite books is Letters to a young poet by Rainer Maria Rilke. It's, like, 100 pages so it's not very thick but such a worthy book to read.

I also love Russell Brand's autobiographies, My Booy Wook & Booky Wook 2; This time it's personal. He is such a brilliant person and so fascinating. I also like Kat Von D's books.

And like I said, I'm a nerd so I love cheesy books like Water For Elephants (Sara Gruen), The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger) and Shakespeare and so on  current/lol

saraaldebe
useravatar
342 Posts
0 Points

XiLaii wrote:

Lizzy Rose wrote:

Yeah, there is rather a lot of controversy over whether or not it was truthful or not, but It's entirely enjoyable as a piece of fiction if nothing else current/tongue

same with The Dirt i guess...and any biography/autobiography ahah

Lizzy Rose
useravatar
602 Posts
0 Points
Female  Birthday 

saraaldebe wrote:

I'm a nerd, so one of my favorite books is Letters to a young poet by Rainer Maria Rilke. It's, like, 100 pages so it's not very thick but such a worthy book to read.

I think you're right saying this is a great one. But I read that in school, school tends to ruin stuff for me... exept for Kavka.

Instagram//blog//work

mrs v. viper
Anna
useravatar
5228 Posts
1453 Points
Male  Birthday  Website 

Mrs V. Viper wrote:

saraaldebe wrote:

I think you're right saying this is a great one. But I read that in school, school tends to ruin stuff for me... exept for Kavka.

Ahh, yeah. I totally know what you're saying. Not OK.

saraaldebe
useravatar
342 Posts
0 Points

If you like books with a lot of pictures : "American hair metal" and "Hollywood Rocks" current/big_smile

Sheila
grevling
useravatar
3114 Posts
Captain Of The Team
2153 Points

A lot of great tips! Yeah I will look up more stuff from Edgar Allan Poe, that's mostley the kind of stuff I'm after...

Another great book is "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, I've read it like 10 times...

izzie
Mr Moderator
useravatar
3353 Posts
1017 Points
Male  Website 

Sheila wrote:

If you like books with a lot of pictures : "American hair metal" and "Hollywood Rocks" current/big_smile

picture books are the best!!!!!!!! and fold-ups haha jk

gothMINd
useravatar
1073 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
0 Points
Male  Website 

gothMINd wrote:

Sheila wrote:

When the picture books includes A4-sized pictures of Michael Monroe and stuff I'll say its the best : D

Sheila
grevling
useravatar
3114 Posts
Captain Of The Team
2153 Points

Sheila wrote:

gothMINd wrote:

Sheila wrote:

When the picture books includes A4-sized pictures of Michael Monroe and stuff I'll say its the best : D

hollywood rocks looks cool, it'll be cool if doro was in it!!

gothMINd
useravatar
1073 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
0 Points
Male  Website 

gothMINd wrote:

Sheila wrote:

gothMINd wrote:

hollywood rocks looks cool, it'll be cool if doro was in it!!

It's really cool, with all the old flyers and stuff. And all the pretty pictures : D

Sheila
grevling
useravatar
3114 Posts
Captain Of The Team
2153 Points

I've recently read "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien - in english though. But if you like LOTR I'd reccomend you to read it. As far as I know it's actually the only LOTR book worth reading.

joey_baccardï
JOEY BACCARDÏ
useravatar
2368 Posts
Captain Of The Team
25 Points
Male  Birthday 

joey_baccardï wrote:

I've recently read "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien - in english though. But if you like LOTR I'd reccomend you to read it. As far as I know it's actually the only LOTR book worth reading.

I've read it actually, it's good.. but don't you like the trilogy?  current/yikes

izzie
Mr Moderator
useravatar
3353 Posts
1017 Points
Male  Website 

uhm reckless road?

Listen to an album from a band you've never heard of every day, get enlightened!  current/smile

axl whïte
useravatar
3083 Posts
Captain Of The Team
72 Points
There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
kali8
Members Online: