Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Other genres?

Other genres?

Which other music genres do you all appreciate besides sleaze? Even if it's embarrasing you, because we're all a little anonymous here.... Anything you wouldn't even have thought of a couple of years ago? Which bands you've just discovered and would you like to recommandate to the other forum members?

~Flying on the wings of victory~

Laura Victory
useravatar
155 Posts
Catchy Little Clementine
0 Points
Female 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Other genres?

I have an eclectic music taste, which means that I like listening to pretty much all genres. I always say "there are no such things as bad genres, only bad songs". It's not like I listen to country music every day, but I don't mind a beautiful country ballad on a late summer evening current/smile Or a bit of Dolly Parton's "9 to 5" or "Jolene". I like some rap songs but don't have any big rap idols except for Eminem. He's just brilliant. I used to like rock n roll as a child too, but I was waaaay more into pop music current/wink

Edited by: Miss Obscene - Jun-05-12 21:20:36

"You know what "normal" is..? A setting on a washing machine. No one wants to be that.." - Ashley Purdy

Miss Obscene
CAROLINE
useravatar
2800 Posts
Captain Of The Team
0 Points
Female  Birthday  Website 
Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

The first music I was interested in was techno and trance. This was when I was fourteen. All my friends liked the same music, so theres a lot of memories in those songs for me today. But I still like it, and listen to it sometimes. I'm talking music like Groove Coverage, Cascada and Basshunter xD

I also have a thing for 80s pop. Samantha Fox and that kind. And one song here and one song there. Lets just say, I really really liked the OKEJ-cd I found, with 20 songs from swedish bands/artists, 20 pop and synth, and 20 hard rock. All from the 80s. xD

i would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

Sheila
grevling
useravatar
3139 Posts
Captain Of The Team
212 Points

Ah hell... well, I'm a (bad) piano player who wanted to be a violin player, so classical of course! My music taste is really really eclectic, and quite awkward. I like loads of 70s and 80s pop along with the obvious rock n roll. Umm... some blues, some techno, some folk... XD Basically everything. The only genre I can't stand is bebop and free jazz... Sorry to anyone who likes it, it just sounds like noise to me!

... The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars ~ Jack Kerouac...

CurrentlycRazie
useravatar
169 Posts
Catchy Little Clementine
0 Points

I love classical. I love black metal... And i like some pop,some glam,some country,some jazz... I really like everything.
But whattaya mean "besides sleaze", CrashDïet doesn't even play sleaze current/tongue

And all that is holy, holy shall be...
Let the light bless and
let these words proclaim the blessing.
Let the seal be broken and let the light prevail

GunsNCrüeSWE
I am of my father the devil...
useravatar
1227 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
9 Points
Male  Website 

I guess it's safe to say I really dig electric guitars...

seriously tho, music just needs to be honest, expressive and spontaneous. ofc you then can take the piece and polish it, but i think it always needs to be fueled by emotion.With that you can find diamonds in every genre. I personally. find it impossible to get into techno trance etc and in the fast doublebass metal stuff with grunts and growls. If I have to point out genres tho Id say i like bluesy rock msic like the stones or aerosmith or GNR quite alot. Im into oldschool punk, and simple grooving hardrock like AC/DC. i don't really like AOR because of the keyboards. I like ssome industrial iinfluenced stuff like Dope stars Inc or deathstars, and have a soft spot for folky and contry stuff.

really, I just dig rock n roll.

Edited by: mrs v. viper - Jun-06-12 01:37:50

☽ O ☾     War, children, is just a shot away.
Instagram//blog//work
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

mrs v. viper
Anna
useravatar
5236 Posts
85 Points
Male  Birthday  Website 

Everything that sounds good current/smile

Though I really do have a problem with "Dansband", "Opera" and the kind of singing you can hear in many arab songs current/tongue

AXL - STEVEN - IZZY - DUFF - SLASH  --- In Memory Of Guns N' Roses

Kraljosovina
Happy Go Lucky Me :D
useravatar
1421 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
41 Points
Birthday  Website 

mrs v. viper wrote:

seriously tho, music just needs to be honest, expressive and spontaneous. ofc you then can take the piece and polish it, but i think it always needs to be fueled by emotion.With that you can find diamonds in every genre.

^^ Very true indeed!

I was wondering what I would say if a topic like this ever came up, haha. In terms of how long I've been into Music, I've not been a sleaze fan for a very long time at all. That said, I don't really say I like one genre or another, because I usually find that for every band I like in a genre, there are two more that I don't like who would be classified as 'the same'. I like bands with a unique spark, something that doesn't sound like everything else in my library, you know?

For the sake of being interesting though, I still have a huge soft spot for a lot of the music I listened to in my very early teens. Jimmy Eat World is a band I still love, and I have a lot other alt/soft "rock" bands in my library, haha.

One of my best friends (who I met through a love of Motley Crue) also really likes super cheesy pop songs, as long as they're feel-good and catchy, so sometimes even that rubs off on me, haha.

I used to be really afraid to admit those, buuuuuuuuut I got a little older, and if it makes you happy when you hear it, I don't see why you should be ashamed :p

(Edit: Fixed some typos, haha)

Edited by: XiLaii - Jun-06-12 03:59:30

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

XiLaii
The Strange
useravatar
2674 Posts
Captain Of The Team
10 Points

Listening to different and diverse music is a real pleasure, just like discovering new bands, new sounds, it's kind of fun current/smile. I listen to stuff varying from '60s rock through '80s glam metal to modern extreme bands like Gojira for example. But there are also artists that have nothing to do with metal or heavy music at all current/smile. As long as it's good, I like it and I don't really care if it's called true extremal pink punk or just rock current/wink. But of course it's obvious I'm mostly into thrash/sleaze/heavy metal as it will always be my biggest interest.

Miss Obscene wrote:

I always say "there are no such things as bad genres, only bad songs".

Wise words from a clever person current/cool.

mrs v. viper wrote:

I guess it's safe to say I really dig electric guitars...

seriously tho, music just needs to be honest, expressive and spontaneous. ofc you then can take the piece and polish it, but i think it always needs to be fueled by emotion.With that you can find diamonds in every genre.

Agree on that as well current/smile.

XiLaii wrote:

I used to be really afraid to admit those, buuuuuuuuut I got a little older, and if it makes you happy when you hear it, I don't see why you should be ashamed :p

Good point here Lou, I guess we're aging current/tongue.

http://imageshack.com/a/img12/1289/hrix.jpg

Marmetal
Martin Krüsh
useravatar
3139 Posts
Captain Of The Team
323 Points
Male  Birthday  Website 

I barely listen to sleaze at all.

I listen to less and less music, I can't seem to find anything interesting these days. But right now it's a lot of folk, like early Bowie and Bob Dylan. Well I also listen to stoner right now: Graveyard and Långfinger are two fantastic bands.

http://www.antonahlstrom.com/

izzie
Mr Moderator
useravatar
3358 Posts
0 Points
Male  Website 

izzie wrote:

I listen to less and less music, I can't seem to find anything interesting these days

Lots of people get that current/hmm I get it sometimes, but then I usually come across something that grabs my attention (usually from somewhere unexpected). You just have to keep an open mind and listen to everything! current/tongue

izzie wrote:

early Bowie and Bob Dylan

Amazing taste though!

... The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars ~ Jack Kerouac...

CurrentlycRazie
useravatar
169 Posts
Catchy Little Clementine
0 Points

Lots of "musical omnivores" around here, great! current/big_smile Although some omnivores seem cautious to name a specific band when it comes to pop and soft-rock.... current/wink

Edited by: Laura Victory - Jun-07-12 20:30:37

Laura Victory
useravatar
155 Posts
Catchy Little Clementine
0 Points
Female 

Kraljosovina wrote:

Though I really do have a problem with "Dansband", "Opera" and the kind of singing you can hear in many arab songs current/tongue

Haha, wait until you're 27+: at that age you'll even like that. current/wink I'm in that age section already, so I know what I'm talking about. current/tongue

But seriously: ageing does seem to make you look past genres. And I also experienced I'm getting more and more into the music my parents like/liked! Maybe because of the sentimental value. But it's also like I'm starting to understand the greatness behind those songs now. Or something.

Personally, I like songs fueled with emotions. Wether it be anger, love, melancholy, proud(ness?), happiness or self-assurance. And above all/ at first songs that give me comfort in either way and the power to go on. That's why my first loves were Accept, AC/DC, Guns and Roses and Motley Crue, I think. After that came a long and sad period, so that started my love for black metal and old school gothic (like Dimmu Borgir and Type o Negative). Now I'm older I don't need that so much anymore and I'm drifting away from "balsy" songs and black metal. But I still love some songs because of my history with them and I will always cherish those genres! The last couples of years I have been listening to more and more "happy" jusic like pop, disco, be-bop, "blue eyed soul", nineties house music, singer-song writers, world-music and Americana. And now, I'm opening up to "softer" and more hidden feelings. I'm listing more and more to specific artists, how have lived through I lot I reckon. Voices filled with every imageable feeling. Like Dusty Springfield, Patsy Cline, Roy Orbison, Maria Callas, Lucia Poppova. But I'm also discovering different "proud" and happy genres like reggae and dancehall.

Laura Victory
useravatar
155 Posts
Catchy Little Clementine
0 Points
Female 

Lots of people are quick to judge most genres other then "their own" as crap. I think that's just narrow-minded; you can find something of value in almost every genre. At least that goes for me, with the exception for Dubstep and House music. I can understand why it appeals to some people, but I just don't find anything attractive with it.

http://www.antonahlstrom.com/

izzie
Mr Moderator
useravatar
3358 Posts
0 Points
Male  Website 

Laura Victory wrote:

Kraljosovina wrote:

Haha, wait until you're 27+: at that age you'll even like that. current/wink I'm in that age section already, so I know what I'm talking about. current/tongue

But seriously: ageing does seem to make you look past genres.

Believe me, I still won't like "Dansband" at 27. It's not about genres, it's just that kind of music is mostly 99% bad in my opinion. As for Opera...It's not that I don't like Opera, I'm sure that if I saw one I would enjoy it. But not just to listen too as music. current/smile

AXL - STEVEN - IZZY - DUFF - SLASH  --- In Memory Of Guns N' Roses

Kraljosovina
Happy Go Lucky Me :D
useravatar
1421 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
41 Points
Birthday  Website 

But really, I love all dark music. No matter if it is pop,jazz,blues,rock whatsoever.
But i really don't stand rap. Not in this "i'm a metalhead, i fucking hate rap!!!". I've given the old school rap bands like Cypress Hill and N.W.A a chance since i know that i hate new rappers. But i just don't like it.

Right now i rarely listen to bands that i am really familiar. Before i used to listen to CrashDïet more than a hour a day. But no longer. I've heard like everything. And when i came to point where i found it worthless to even look after the first three demos i stopped listening to them. But every now and then i listen to Out Of Line. Basicaly because it is probably CrashDïet's darkest song.

And i love classical. Bach is really amazing. But since i'm a big fan of depressive music my fave must be Beethoven. Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven and Cantus In Memorian Benjamin Bretten by Arvo Pärt are two masterpieces within the genre. I believe that there is shit within every genre. Even sleaze. Except for one single genre. And this is classical. There is no bad music within this genre, probably because it is hard to compose. Every single dumb fuck that has played guitar for 1-2 years can write a decent sleaze song. But that person can't write classical. And i believe that's why classical is such a perfect genre.

And i've got a big love for black metal. I mostly like the depressive black metal bands like Shining,Silencer and Skitliv. But Dissection,Burzum,Watain,Bathory,Forgotten Tomb and Ulver. But most of the bands within black metal is pure crap. I mean, who gives a fuck about Darkthrone after Panzerfaust?!?!

And a band that is kinda far away from what i usually listen to is Kent. But i fucking love them and will see them live this summer. Most people get a feeling of hope when they listen to their music, but to me Kent is darker and more depressive than any black metal band. Listen to this and you will understand.

I simply love them.

But i try to respect and find something good within every genre.

Could anyone tip me about some good dark pop? current/smile

Let the light bless and

GunsNCrüeSWE
useravatar
1227 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
9 Points
Male  Website 

izzie wrote:

Lots of people are quick to judge most genres other then "their own" as crap. I think that's just narrow-minded; you can find something of value in almost every genre.

Right on bro! current/smile And usually metalheads are very narrow-minded, sad but true.

Marmetal
Martin Krüsh
useravatar
3139 Posts
Captain Of The Team
323 Points
Male  Birthday  Website 

Yeah... I agree. Metal elitists especially. They are like "i'm so open minded. I like both thrash and death metal".

Straight up stupid.

Let the light bless and

GunsNCrüeSWE
useravatar
1227 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
9 Points
Male  Website 

GunsNCrüeSWE wrote:

They are like "i'm so open minded. I like both thrash and death metal".

Haha, gave me a good laugh current/big_smile.

Marmetal
Martin Krüsh
useravatar
3139 Posts
Captain Of The Team
323 Points
Male  Birthday  Website 

Marmetal wrote:

GunsNCrüeSWE wrote:

They are like "i'm so open minded. I like both thrash and death metal".

Haha, gave me a good laugh current/big_smile.

Glad to hear.

Let the light bless and

GunsNCrüeSWE
useravatar
1227 Posts
Diehard Dïetist
9 Points
Male  Website 
There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
caesar
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
Paula

Chatterbox

Turn off/on Sound Smileys History FAQ Kide Chat
Mcinsanity: Horrible... childish... and u don't have any idea why they treated you like this?
KerLondonLepard: I really don't know but I hate my country....luckily tomorrow I will go to Castelfranco Veneto..
Mcinsanity: oh.. Enjoy then :)
KerLondonLepard: Thank you...<3 I love this blog...I feel at home
Mcinsanity: :)
KerLondonLepard: :D :D anyway! what are u doing now? :D
Mcinsanity: Listening lost horizons, maybe I shouldn't do this, it almost makes me cry... Beautiful song<3 and u?
KerLondonLepard: This song is fantastic <3 I'm chatting and watching TV :D
Mcinsanity: yes<3 :)
KerLondonLepard: <3 <3 hehe
Mcinsanity: Do you listen any other bands?
KerLondonLepard: yeah! mmm Hardcore Superstar,Sister,Hanoi Rocks,Alice Cooper,Guns N' Roses,L.A. Guns,Skid Row and other...mmm Pretty boy Floyd :D
KerLondonLepard: and u? :D
Mcinsanity: oh wow :D Reckless love, Santa cruz, Lovex, Sturm und drang...
KerLondonLepard: :D :D
Sleazoid: Goodnight everyone, have a great day where ever you all may be.
KerLondonLepard: Hey there!
madcandy: Hey :)
KerLondonLepard: hey how are u? :3
madcandy: fine ^_^ and you?
KerLondonLepard: Fine :) thanks
Mcinsanity: hey! :)
KerLondonLepard: hey :D
Mcinsanity: How are u?
KerLondonLepard: I'm fine thank you,and you? :)
Mcinsanity: annoyed... After last week holiday, school started today :(
KerLondonLepard: ohw :( poor :(
KerLondonLepard: I am waiting Peter cause I can order any stuff :)
Mcinsanity: oh, what stuff? :P (have i asked this already?)
KerLondonLepard: I am waiting that he will come back online
KerLondonLepard: hey there :)
KerLondonLepard: Hello :)
Mcinsanity: Hey! :)
KerLondonLepard: hey :D
Luana.Crow: hey.
KerLondonLepard: how are u? :)

Only registered users can chat!
Please register or login :)

Recent Forum Topics

by vilatichoslapka
Oct-29-14 10:22:44